Wednesday, February 25, 2009

YO lady... Just Say No to Cardio!

Yo lady, yeah you, release the hand grips, stop moving your legs and step off the machine.
Please.....
We've all seen her, the skinny, no muscle having middle aged woman who is fanatic about her cardio machines.  I got to the gym this afternoon and there she was, just getting started. I've seen her before and we've talked a few times so went up asked her when she got there.
"3:45 pm.  This is my first machine".  
I joked, "That means you'll be here until 8 pm?".  haha.  She didn't laugh.   
I went and trained/worked out with my client.  Today we did a conservative workout on the machines.  3 sets of 10-12 reps per body part.  This is not the normal Turbulence Training style that I prefer but this client is 60 years old, has scoliosis and even though she did well with TT, it's a different period of her training program now.
My client appreciates interval style training and does what she can, within her limitations so when we look over at Cardio-queen (CQ from here on) we both laugh.  CQ spends at least 2 hours a day, 7 days a week doing cardio.  She jumps from one machine to the other, leaning on the handrails, thinking she's got it going on.  Poor thing.
The worst part:  one of her calf muscles is going out.  Does that stop her?  No, instead, she complains about the pain and spends less time on the treadmill, the piece of cardio equipment that aggravates her condition the most.  Stop.  Please.
Don't get me wrong, I fully support and encourage cardiovascular conditioning.  My philosophy is that we build our shape on the weights and we maintain that shape with cardio.  I heard that from ancient chinese trainer long time ago.  
So I'm on the stairstepper after my workout and CQ gets on the machine next to me.  She's tired, she's hanging onto the railing and she's not taking full strides on the stepper to fully work the glutes.  She'd been doing cardio for over an hour and a half.  She looked at me and asked how long I do cardio.  "20 minutes.  High intensity intervals twice a week and 30 minutes moderate cardio 2-3 other days".  I also told her that building muscle is the key to losing or maintaining weight.  She heard but it went in one ear and out the other.
Cardio queen had enough.  She let go of the handrail, stepped off the machine and limped away.  2 hours.  The sad thing, she'll be back tomorrow.  The worst thing, she thinks she's got it going on when in fact, she's killing her body.
Kelly Says Do This:  Just say yes to high intensity intervals and turbulence training.  In and out of the gym in  60 minutes flat and on with your life.  If you have one.  IF not, more time to go find one.  Peace.


No comments: