Sunday, February 22, 2009

SMART Goals

Specific.
Measurable.
Attainable. Achievable. Action oriented.
Realistic.
Time oriented.
Research has been done and it's a fact: successful people set goals. I'm not talking CEOs, I'm talking about people who want to achieve something, make a change. Lose weight. Reduce blood pressure. Lower cholesterol. Drop a dress size. Lower body fat. Touch your toes...
Like most trainers, I tell my clients to set goals so they don't lose sight of why they are CONSISTENTLY going to the gym, why they are cooking meals on Sunday, why their body is sore. Basically, why they hired me in the first place.
Specific. I want to lose 5 pounds. Be very specific as to what you want.
Measurable. 5 pounds is measurable. Quantitative. "Toning Up" is not measurable.
Attainable. Develop a plan that works for you. One that is in line with your values. Your life.
Realistic. This depends on your time frame.
Time oriented. I want to lose 5 pounds by April 15, 2009. There's a date. Be realistic.
Ok, so I practice what I preach. On January 1, 2009, I set a weight goal of 169. Unfortunately, the older a woman gets, the harder it is to lose weight. Hormones play a critical role, especially around the middle! And the middle is my problem area.
Exercise has been a part of my life forever. I started Craig Ballantyne's Turbulence training workouts over a year ago and have seen some amazing changes in my body. Rome wasn't built in a day so reshaping my body isn't going to happen overnight but I've stuck with it and have been consistent with my resistance training workouts. I get the most results when I do high intensity intervals but I'm not as consistent with them. However, I try to get some type of high intensity workout in twice a week.
For me, diet is the key to my success. I can't workout any harder so it's all in what I eat and when I eat it. I'm NOT a nutritionist but I am a CHEK Level 1 Holistic Lifestyle Coach. (GO organic). Portion sizes are my issue and I stopped the alcohol indulgences since they add up the quickest.
Result: February 22, I reached my first goal weight of 169! Down from 180. I finally broke into the 60s....Yeah. Now I'm focused on 165. SMART goal#2 time: By April 30, 2009, I will weigh what is says on my drivers license!
Kelly Says Do This: Set Goals, write them down, review them, stick with it. Don't get discouraged, get even. Work it out. Lift, run, stretch. Consistently.

No comments: