Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Fitness Lifestyle

       I've had a couple busy days since returning from a conference (which is good) but time demands tend to knock me out of my routine and into self-discipline mode.  While away, I was faithful to my workout routines but apparently, I had one too many margaritas, or could that Cinnabon with extra icing had something to do with the extra cush around my stomach.
Belly fat is what it's called by someone whom I respect and follow.  I call it ugly but guess what?  At 40, it shows up like clockwork about 24-36 hours after an indulgence!
I'm mentioning this because this ugly 'belly fat' is happening in epidemic proportions right now, all around you.  People are stressed due to the holidays (and economy), workout routines are being abandoned for more pressing obligations, and diets are being swept under the tablecloth, forgotten entirely or vowed into existence with the same 'ol, same 'ol empty New Years' promise:  I will start you tomorrow!
Well, as a coach, consultant and educator, this wellness and fitness stuff is a lifestyle, not a quick fix.  Remaining active, going to the gym, lifting weights, running the damn intervals, it's my life.   Being such, I have to remind myself that there will be good days and there will be not so good days but my friends, everyday is a great day as long as I can walk, breath, jump, swallow, smile, and laugh.
Ok, so the margaritas on the Riverwalk have settled in around my belly button, right next to the Toll House Little Troubles but you know something, I'm over it.  I'm already back on track, refraining from the extras and seeing the difference.
Trainers, clients, don't beat yourself up.  There will be highs and there will be lows.  This is a lifestyle, not a quick fix.  Lows make the highs great and highs make the lows a stepping stone.   Your body is work in progress.
Kelly Says Do This:  Don't sweat the small stuff.  5 pounds here today will be gone with some self-discipline.  Not a nutritionist but don't eat it if you can't pronounce it!  Get on and get over it, do your Turbulence Training and enjoy body movement.  

No comments: